Friday, July 22, 2016

Introduction

Let me start by saying I'm no expert and anything posted on this blog should be for entertainment purposes only and not investment advice. I'm an 8th grade social studies teacher. Like many young professionals I got taken for a ride by an insurance advisor. I ended up a decent amount of retirement savings locked into a 403b account with average funds and high fees and surrender charges.

Since then I've learned my lesson and stopped putting my money in that fee pit. But to be honest I don't really have much place in the market right now. I have two beautiful daughters going to daycare, a house fund, 529 plans, and a Roth IRA through Betterment.

Under normal circumstances I couldn't even think of investing in individual stocks. The fees would eat away at any profits I could hope to make. However, the arrival of the Robinhood App has changed all of that.  I'm aware that Robinhood has a lot of negatives. You can't day trade, long term there are questions if the company can sustain itself, it lacks the standard features associated with most brokerage firms. But for my purposes it will do just fine.

I'm looking to make tiny investments each month into strong companies that offer dividends each month. I'm looking to learn a little about how to invest now when it's low stakes, so I can be a better investor in the future. There are no lofty goals of retiring early or living entirely off of dividends. My goals are much more modest. I would like to supplement my pension and social security to retire a little more comfortably.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you but the brakes on your 403b "fee pit." As you already know with Robinhood and services like Loyal3 it's easy for anyone to slowly build up a dividend income portfolio based on individual stocks. No llonger are commission costs a barrier to small individual investment amounts. Happy to follow along your investing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all of the information you share on your page. Not familiar with Loyal3. I will have to check it out.

      Delete

Follow by Email

Finance Lessons From Dad

It has been nearly two years since my father passed. There was a lot to admire about the man. I can't remember him ever raising his voic...