Friday, October 28, 2016

Big Moves for the Career and this Tiny Portfolio: This Week's Buys T, DIS, EMR

This week has been one of the most exciting weeks of my life. Aside from getting into college and being hired as a teacher, this may be my most significant career move. I took my first step towards becoming an educational leader. After 10 years as a middle school social studies teacher, I accepted a position in my school as the Dean of Students. I start on Halloween. This is an excellent opportunity for me to grow, and will prepare me for my ultimate goal of becoming a Principal. 

Gaining this position led to some unexpected money from my mom. She gave me a little bit of money. A portion of the money went to expenses. I'm on family leave so getting a paycheck,  (though I will get a decent reimbursement from the state.) And daycare for two starts on November 1 and has already been deducted from my account. The majority of money will be used to invest both in myself and dividends. There is an age old saying dress for the job you want not the job you have. Well both my new job and the one I'd home to get down the road require a wardrobe upgrade. I have been slowly doing this one outfit at a time. This weekend I plan on buying a second suit and couple of new professional shirts/ties and pants. 

But I wanted to make sure I also used a portion of the income to invest in my portfolio. So this week I made a few buys.  

On the 24th I bought another 2 shares of T at 36.93 per share. This continued my trend of buying the dip over the Time Warner Purchase. 

However, I realized I have been buying a lot of telecom as of late between T and FTR. I also realized that a lot of my recent buys have been high dividend stocks and I wanted to diversify and add some stability to my portfolio. 

On October 25th I bought a single share of Disney for $92.82. This might not seem like much. But for a portfolio under 2k that share alone is a significant percentage. For me this was a no brainer. The Dividend is low but there is a ton of room for growth as Disney currently has a P/E ratio of under 17. And without a doubt Disney will also ways be around. The company also is incredibly diversified owning ESPN, theme parks, movies, streaming etc. 

My largest buy of the week was EMR 5 shares@49.85 per share. This was another boring buy. The share price has been largely flat for the past 9 years and the dividend growth has slowed considerably lately. But at the end of the day it is a Dividend Aristocrat with a P/E ratio of 17.78 well below its competitors in the field. The yield is a very solid 3.79 and the payout ratio of 65.1 shows that the dividend isn't in any jeopardy. They have a 4 star rating from Morning Star.

Overall it was an exciting week. With this latest investment I can now revise my 2017 Goals and reach a little more. 




4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new position as Dean of Students. This should be an exciting new path for you on your way to Principal. Nice buys. Like the EMR pick up. All of your buys added some nice current yield too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith for taking the time to comment. I appreciate all of your advice.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new job. I like EMR and DIS buys. I sold a put on DIS last week with a $91.50 strike price. We'll see if I own the stock in a few week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't mind seeing DIS go a little lower myself.

      Delete

Follow by Email

When Your Goals are in Conflict

Hello again. My posting has slowed as the school year has begun and I finally get to see a taste of how big the job is that I stepped into i...