Thursday, February 9, 2017

My Largest Buy to Date TGT

An unexpected gift just help breathe some life into this portfolio. My mother has been one of my strongest supporters. I've always been pretty open with her about my finances. She knows that I have a decent income stream between my wife and I. But she also knows with two small children in full-time daycare and my wife's student loan we have a lot of short term costs.

This past week my mother gave me a check for $1,000 with the only condition being that I invest the money. Recently I took my first step by purchasing 8 shares of Target at  $520.56 or 65.07 per share.

What I like about Target is it's cheap, has a strong dividend, and very long record of dividend increases. Do I think it should be my heaviest weighted investment? Probably not. I have some concerns about the retail sector. However, my portfolio is so small I don't see it as a concern.  As I continue to invest my portfolio will come into balance.

What I like about Target:

Payout Ratio: 47.5% plenty of room for more growth.
Dividend Growth: 49 years
P/E Ratio: 11.8 percent
Div/Yield 3.6

It's also nice to know that I have a good chunk of change to invest. 

8 comments:

  1. I recently bought some Target also. The higher dividend yield because of the price drop will add a nice amount to my dividend income. Have fun Investing, DM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. DM,

      Congrats on the TGT buy. I love the value. Hard to find it in this market. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the buy. I don't own TGT but they should be a pretty solid long-term hold.
    Best wishes,
    -DL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment DL. I hope so. I do worry a little about retail in general. But I like TGT's history and value. You have a very impressive portfolio. I will add you to my blogroll. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TGT has been making the rounds among our peers, that's for sure. Nice pick up as shares are depressed. Great foresight your mother has to give you the opportunity to invest and generate an income from that investment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      Thank you for the positive feedback as always. I am grateful for the opportunity my mother has given me.

      Delete
  5. I have been buying TGT recently too! That is pretty awesome of your mom to encourage your investments

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

When Your Goals are in Conflict

Hello again. My posting has slowed as the school year has begun and I finally get to see a taste of how big the job is that I stepped into i...