Friday, March 3, 2017

Why Ownership Matters

I love my job. I put a lot of passion and energy into it. I'm fulfilled when I'm able to make a difference in the lives of the students I have the privilege of serving. But at the end of the day I'm collecting a paycheck for the services that I provide. In some ways buying stocks or making other investments are similar. You spend time, energy, and money choosing your investments with the hopes of getting some payment or return.

However, there is a significant difference. When I buy stock I own it. No matter how much I love my job, it will never belong to me. I can always be terminated or reassigned. I don't have the ability to hand my job to my children.

The stocks I buy are mine. I have to live with the results of my choices in terms of how much value my investments gain or lose. But I can pass them to my children. If I don't like the decisions a company is making or the direction it is going in, I have the power to pull my money out and invest in something else.

For those that seek to one day live entirely off of dividends I get the appeal. There are no strings attached to that money. No one can require you to be in the office at a particular time. There are no bosses. There is no need for an alarm clock and you can travel as you please. What I love about investing is that instead of working for, the money is working for you. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that's why I like to look as my stocks as little employees that work for me and get me dividends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way of looking at it Timeinthemarket.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

When Your Goals are in Conflict

Hello again. My posting has slowed as the school year has begun and I finally get to see a taste of how big the job is that I stepped into i...