Monday, July 3, 2017

Goal Assessment

With half the year over, now is a nice time to reflect on the progress I've made towards my 2017 goals. I'm happy to say I'm shattering them. Full disclosure, I did benefit from $1,000 gift from my mom that I invested entirely. But even if I didn't include it, I would be on pace to make my two main goals of $4,000 portfolio and $100 in dividend income.

My portfolio is currently valued at $4,657.14 and is on pace to break $5,000 for the year. My salary is only going to be increasing with my promotion, so I believe I will easily shatter $5,000. Unfortunately that promotion doesn't kick in until the end of August, and I'm going to pay the price for contributions not made to my summer pay (due to family leave) So July may be a little tight.

My second goal was to earn $100 in dividends. Well I'm certainly on my way there $65.75 at the halfway point. Which is great because I own more shares at the now then I did when I started. So I should easily shatter that goal as well.

My third goal was to have two holdings of at least $500 and I was able to accomplish that already with my shares of Target and AT&T.

I definitely benefitted from an unexpected gift. But I believe I was on pace to meet 2 if not all three of my goals without it. I think I will begin making some initial goals for 2018, which I will revise as I get closer to the New Year. I will continue to try and make smart achievable goals. One of these goals is to along with my wife buy our first house. This in the short term may be the reason why I don't really push my Dividend Investment goal for 2018.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, greetings from Hungary. What is your cost to buy shares or a share? In our country it is pretty high, at least 7.00$ or 0.3% /transaction (regarding US markets). I also hold GM, GE, EMR, CMP, T, PEP, FLO, UL, ADM, WFC, TGT, JNJ, ABBV, so we are co-owners. Good luck for improving your investments and passive income. Sincerely, Tibor Ivanov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are normally similar costs in America. However, there is an App called Robinhood that allows for free trading. There are some limitations. No fractional shares, there is a little delay, weekly deposit limits, etc.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on your excellent selection of stocks.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. My portfolio includes 80 companies, which is 50% of total assets. Portfolio also has 21% TLT (U.S. 20+ year govt. bonds) and 26% hungarian short term government bonds.

      Delete
  2. Goals are important and it's good to reassess them from time to time. It's great that you are on track to reaching your goals. It just provides more motivation to keep going. I've also found that blogging about my goals helps keep me accountable as well. So, here's me keeping my fingers crossed that you will continue to shatter your goals for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dividend Portfolio. Hope you continue crushing it as well. Good luck with the rental.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on making great progress on your goals! Nothing wrong with unexpected bonuses or gifts from helping you along and better your goals even more.
    Best wishes,
    -DL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks DL. Not apologizing for the gifts. Just trying to assess my progress with and without the help.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Finance Lessons From Dad

It has been nearly two years since my father passed. There was a lot to admire about the man. I can't remember him ever raising his voic...